Saturday 16 February 2013

Feb 16th

Long time no see eh. Been hard at work no time for birding, that and theres been nothing about.... Today I visited Lound. I located a Bittern in reeds by the waterworks compound viewed from the hill, which was just outside my patch but nice to see for the Lowestoft area yearlist. I then entered my patch when I parked at the nearby Lound Lakes carpark. To my amazement another Bittern was standing out on the reed edge just out from the car park here, well and truly on the patch..get in! It continued to show remarkably well for a few hours. Amazingly there seems to be at least 4 Bitterns at Lound with 2 sparring together at the car park seen by Rob and Ricky and 2 seen by the waterworks. Also looking in the logbook in the hide at least one Bittern has been present since early Feb, tho news never came out. 2 Barnacle Geese here were most welcomed as a patch yeartick, as was a Little Owl finally seen in its formerly regular trees by the causeway. Thanks for the tip off Rob...I know how you love finding me patch ticks:. I noted 4 Common Buzzards soaring over while Ricky and Rob noted an outstanding 13 Buzzards during a more dedicated watch. Mistle Thrush was singing and Redpoll, Siskin and Fieldfare were also noted.

1 comment:

  1. Hi James, have you posted your finds to the Patchwork Challenge, I see Rob Wil & Alison Allen leading the way (both in Top 10) surely you'd be up amongst them too, or has work got in the way??

    ReplyDelete