Saturday 6 April 2013

April 6th

Sunny day with a fairly gentle NNE wind after 2 months of srong North Easterlies caused raptors to move through the area. Standing on the southern perimeter of Corton new sewage works in the morning I had a nice clear sky view to the south and west. Common Buzzards were moving and at least 11 were noted from here going north. The hoped for Red Kite was noted when 2 majestic birds drifted north together from over Gunton then right over my head as they headed inland towards Lound. Indeed most of the Common Buzzards took a similar route and at times showed great over my head. Later on I joined my "secret" listing competition and watched from the Hobland road where an additional 8 Common Buzzards were noted moving. One member of this selective club shared that he got a massive rush of adrenaline when he set eyes on the Kites from there and now realised why some people are so mad into yearlisting for the buzz it gives even from semi common birds. Id been telling these guys that for years. So im resigned to not only being gazumped on Dec 31st by a secret "triangle" in North east Norfolk...but also by those closest to me. But all is not yet lost.....im hedging all my bets on an autumn finding spree to leave these newcomers face down in the dirt:) Rest of the day was spent scanning the sky for the White tailed Eagle. It probably went over me high and unoticed at Breydon south wall after i raced there having had the tip off from Winterton as it was seen at Burgh Castle 10 mins after I had arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment