Thursday 9 May 2013

May 8th

Resorting to stints of early evening seawatching at the moment as very few migrants are around. 2 Bar-wits south, 1 late Red throated Diver north and c.20 Gannet had been the "highlights". However I did have a couple of sightings which made me scratch my head. The first tonight were 3 large white birds distantly south low over water, never gliding like the Gannets present and clearly bigger. I assume they were probably Spoonbills and if a group of 3 turns up on the Suffolk coast tommorow it would be interesting... The other sighting was the previous night when I picked up a Tern flying north quite high at mid/long range. Having watched commmics all evening it wasnt one of those, too large and leisurely. It didnt strike me as a Sandwich Tern either. In fact the bill did look all black, thick and short. Yes there was a strong black trailing edge to wing....and yes its the one candidate species there is no way in hell they will "give" to a yearlister.....yet another that gets away..:(

No comments:

Post a Comment