Thursday 17 October 2013

Oct 17th

Today was a crazy kind of day. The wind had switched to the west after a good period of easterlies, I wasnt expecting much at all...but it turned into the best day of the year... As I wasnt expecting anything I didnt even check Corton and headed straight to Ness Point to test out the camera on possible waders etc as there was nothing better seemingly to do and I wasnt called in to work today. Whilst videoing 2 distant Purple Sands I got a text from Rob Wincup saying a Great White Egret was flying south over the Denes. O well I thought..that would have been nice....3 mins later I realised wth I am actually south of him at the moment..and started scanning the skies frantically to no avail and I had missed it (smacks forehead. However my continued scanning did pick me up a real bonus patch year tick in the form of a ringtail Hen Harrier that came in from the sea and headed south west over the town in the direction of Carlton Marshes. Rob then tweeted again that he was watching a Yellow-browed Warbler on the Denes. I quickly packed up and made my way there and enjoyed views of it in sycamores by the 2nd shelter belt north of the Oval. 2 Redpolls flew south and we mused that there must be at least a Pallas`s around here somewhere as we were somewhat missing out on the action further north in recent days. I then checked Belle Vue Park where a nice Firecrest was located near the steps by the ravine. Next stop Corton Woods where 2 resplendant Firecrests were showing well low down in the usual Holly tress at this known regular site, with birds often wintering.A Treecreeper and 2 Chiffchaffs were the only other birds of note, the recent large Thrush and Robin numbers had now largely departed. Richard Smith then tweeted that he had had a definate 2nd Yellow-brow on the Denes then a possible Pallas`s Warbler seen briefly. I made my way back there wondering what on earth was going on...common migrants all clearing out but scarce waifs showing (Rob Wilton even had a YBW walking his school kids to the pool!)..bizarre. I searched the Flycatcher Lane area for a while with Richard and Rob and heard what I considered to be the Pallas`s Warbler on a few occaisions but we couldnt get on to it. A text then came through from Craig Shaw that he had found 3 Shorelarks at Corton so I made my way their for a valuable patch yeartick vowing to return to try for tyhe Pallas`s. The Shorelarks showed well near the central path between the 2 stubble fields but I didnt want to get too close in fear of flushing them so only manage this shot plus some decent video footage. Carl and Ricky had a Jack Snipe here later but I made my way back to the Denes, adamant that there was a Pallas`s to be had. Meeting Jane and Rob we searched diligently. After a while a bird called from bushes on the slope north of the Oval which we were pretty convinced was a Pallas`s Warbler especially after checking xeno-canto via the mobile. We were so adamant we stayed at the same spot for over an hour convinced it was in that bush! Always trust your gut feelings. The bush remained silent...for a long time..we stayed. Craig Shaw joined us on his Dog walk and the lucky devil then picked out the Pallas`s Warbler at the front of the bush. It gave nice views to those present..an absolute gem of a bird..my favourite, with flashing yellow rump and median crown stripe seen well. A real case of perseverance pays off and we were elated. I ended the day at Corton disused railways line where finally a Redpoll wasnt just flying over but was in full view in the top of a tree..Mealy..get in. Yet another Firecrest was also seen here, rounding off a fantastic day.

No comments:

Post a Comment